HAWAIIAN REDUCES MILES EARNINGS FOR AMAZON PURCHASES
Today, I discovered some sad news. As of 1/23/2013 you can not earn Hawaiian Airlines miles on all your Amazon purchases as was the case. This is a major bummer for those of us who shop on Amazon as they were the only partner that allows you to earn miles.
I logged into my Hawaiian Airlines account to click through to the shopping portal to buy some shoes for my boys and found that something look very different.
“*As of 1/23/13 miles are no longer earned for purchases on every Amazon.com category. Members can earn miles when purchasing items from the categories listed above only. Also note, miles can no longer be earned for Amazon transactions through the Hawaiian Airlines MileFinder.”
So you can now only earn 2 miles per $1 spent on MYHABIT.com, Women’s Shoes, Men’s Shoes, and AmazonLocal. This is a huge downer! BUT WAIT…….there is still hope. Let me explain.
You can buy Amazon gift cards at various stores with any rewards card that offers a category bonus.
For example, you can buy Amazon Gift cards at any office supply stores with your Chase Ink Bold, Chase Ink Plus, Chase Ink Cash, and Ink Classic (no fee card). All of these Chase Business cards are some of the highest earning cards in the industry. You can find more details about them here. All of these Chase cards will earn you 5 points per dollar (or 5% cash back) at office supply stores. You can leverage this earning power with just about anything because they sell many retailer gift cards and if you can’t find the retailer of your choice simply pick up Visa gift cards and earn 5 points per dollar on any purchase indirectly through this method.
You could also purchase Amazon Gift cards with your Hilton Honors Surpass AMEX which earns 6X Hilton points at grocery stores and drug stores.
Don’t forget that Hawaiian miles transfer to Hilton HHonors points at a ratio of 1:2. This means 1,000 Hawaiian Airlines miles equals 2,000 Hilton Honors points. Transfers must be made in increments of 5,000 Hawaiian miles though.
If you are looking for hotel points here is a super earning plan.
Bank some Hawaiian Airlines miles by applying for the Bank of American Hawaiian Airlines cards (there are 2 versions) and then transfer the points to Hilton Honors.) You can find more information on the Hawaiian Airlines cards here. Both cards offer 35,000 Hawaiian Airlines miles which would be 70,000 together and 150,000 Hilton Honors points. Maybe you are rich in miles right now but need free hotel nights. If so, this is a great route to go. I did last year and I’m staying at many Hilton properties this year on my travels in the UK and US because of the huge balance I have.
You could then add to your Hilton Honors balance with these two cards:
Citi® Hilton HHonorsTM Visa Signature® Card
- Earn 40,000 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points after spending $1000 within 4 months of account opening*
- Earn 6 HHonors Bonus Points for each $1 spent at a participating hotel within the Hilton HHonors portfolio.*
- Earn 3 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points for each $1 spent on purchases at supermarkets, drugstores and gas stations*
- Earn 2 Hilton HHonors Bonus Points for each $1 spent on all other purchases*
- No annual fee.*
- Earn 2 weekend night certificates good at select hotels and resorts within the Hilton HHonors portfolio after $2,500 in eligible purchases within 4 months of account opening*
- Earn 10 HHonors Bonus Points per $1 spent on hotel stays within the Hilton HHonors portfolio*
- Earn 5 HHonors Bonus Points per $1 spent on airline and car rental purchases*
- Earn 3 HHonors Bonus Points per $1 spent on all other eligible purchases*
- Enjoy the benefits of HHonors Gold status as long as you are a cardmember*
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases*
- Travel with ease and enjoy global acceptance with your Citi chip credit card
- Earn an anniversary bonus of 1 weekend night certificate at select hotels and resorts within the Hilton HHonors portfolio each cardmembership year with qualifying purchases*
So there you go. With those 4 cards you could bring your Hilton Honors balance up to over 200,000 points plus 2 weekend nights. These points can really be spread out if you choose your Hilton Honors properties wisely. Some are very pricey and some are not. For example, my family is not staying in what is considered the “prime” location in downtown London because the Hilton properties were way to pricey and to accommodate our family would have been close to 150,00 points per night for a family room. Outrageous to me being the frugal Momma I am. So I found a nice category 5 Hilton property, the Hilton London Dockside which had a family room for only 35,000 points per night and is very close to public transportation for easy access to Buckingham Palace, Westminister Abbey, The London Eye and everything we want to see. It is also located on the banks of the River Thames.
Most of you regular readers know I’m frugal and I’m a huge point stretcher. You have to be when you are earning for a family and traveling with your crew. It’s not about first class or elite status for us (of course we have some from free status upgrade offers or credit cards that give you status), it’s about being able to afford our adventures and experience incredible moments together. You will note that most everyone who is always bragging on their status is not traveling with a family. They are either single travelers or couples. If they are families, one parent travels for business to earn the status. When we travel it’s free and always earned from the comfort of our home. You can too! Need any help, I’m always available, just shoot me an email
- Chase Ink Bold – 50,000 Bonus Points
- Ink Plus Business Card – 50,000 Bonus Points
- Ink Cash – $200 Cashback (You actually receive 20,000 points)
- Ink Classic – 20,000 Bonus Points
- Hawaiian Airlines cards – 35,000 Bonus miles